Pages

Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Talking With Your Hands

I'm doing a presentation tomorrow for a class and I realize I'm never sure what to do with my hands. When I know I'm not being graded, I don't really think about how my hands move when I talk. But it's too late; I'm conscious of my appendages now, and must decide how to carry them.

I'm right handed, so that guy's usually cool and cooperative. The left, however, doesn't have much to do.



If my hands aren't at my sides, sometimes they mysteriously creep upward into this position:



Some people talk with their hands naturally. I don't have that innate ability, that I'm aware of, so I try my best not to look like this:



Maybe holding cue cards will prevent all that. Let's hope. 

Any tips? Let me know!


5 comments:

  1. DionWestford AKA FrenchyNovember 13, 2011 at 1:27 AM

    See, I always saw you do the T-rex arms, and I always just thought you were mocking me for being gay. But then I realized that you just did that as a natural reaction. Needless to say, I enjoy watching the body language of others whilst having conversations with them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You need to watch Community, dear. While giving a presentation, always treat your hands like you have a sandwich in your palm. Everything else will come naturally as long as you don't drop your sandwich.

    And this advice comes like 20 days too late. Whoops.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha! I searched for a clip of this and was unsuccessful. Do you hold the "sandwich" like your hands are a platter? or like you are about to eat said sandwich?

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was the closest I could find to it. There's obviously an explanation in a less exciting part of the show but youtube thinks you can get the general idea here.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGN_LAt86A8

    I wouldn't recommend looking like you're about to eat the sandwich, though. Have you ever seen someone about to each a sandwich? It's really uncomfortable.

    ReplyDelete