Pages

Sunday, November 6, 2011

Think Before You Speak

Sometimes people say things without thinking; a quick response they usually regret when they realize what just came out of their mouths. You might accidentally offend someone or create an uncomfortable double entendre that makes you want to bury your head in sand (which apparently ostriches do not). Sometimes these slip-ups are funny. Other times, they're just cringeworthy. A few days ago, this happened:

I was in class and a girl who always talks through lectures was doing what she does best. She and her friends sit a few feet away from me, so it's hard not to hear every word they say. I've tried. So Mouthy McLoudmouth (I'm not good with names) was whining about our government's 15 trillion dollars in debt (if I'm reading the National Debt Clock correctly). "Why isn't anyone else freaking out about this?" she said, flustered. Her friends mocked her reaction to old news, and she became immediately offended. "Shut up guys! You're making me feel stupid! I knew about the debt! I'm not retarded!!!" 

One seat down, one to the right, sat the boy with Down Syndrome who comes to class with his sister. McLoudmouth was unfazed. I was ashamed for her. I couldn't believe how insensitive she was. What's worse? She said it again a few minutes later, looked right at him, and smirked. The airy "whaaaat?" when her friends scoffed in embarrassment made me furious. 


Ok, sometimes people don't think before they speak. That's bad enough. It's worse when there's intent  and it's malicious. Mouthy McLoudmouth needs to learn not to speak. At all. Especially at the expense of others. 

1 comment:

  1. DionWestford AKA FrenchyNovember 13, 2011 at 1:24 AM

    Mouthy McLoudmouth needs a swift punch in the teeth. Or just someone to turn around and backhand her viciously with a "Shut the Hell up, you ignorant bitch."

    Honestly, if I was in that class, I would have totally gone medieval on her. Battleaxe and all.

    But yet, sometimes people DO say some pretty ridiculous stuff without thinking. I'm usually a common victim of this, but moreso in a mean way. I'll not be a fan of someone in particular, talking to them, and let something slip that would hurt them and let them leave me alone finally without realizing it. It makes me feel slightly guilty, at least at first, and then I realize that it was for the best, since my initial hopes of them going away were now realized.

    ReplyDelete